Monday, May 3, 2010

Grilled Mini Portabella Burgers



Bryan's sister is a vegetarian, and lately we've been talking about recipes and cooking together this summer, so I've been trying to think of some vegetarian recipes to try out and make together.  I honestly don't know if I could ever be a vegetarian - I would miss chicken and fish way to much with the occasional read meat consumption.  I give people who are all the credit in the world But I tell you what, I could defiantly do it for a little bit especially if I ate a lot more portabella mushrooms.  They are so meaty and juicy that when I made my grilled portabella mushroom burgers I don't even miss the hamburger aspect of it.  When grocery shopping today I grabbed a pack of mini (stuffing) portabella mushroom caps instead of the big ones.  Grab some romaine lettuce and some mozzarella cheese and made some mini portabella burgers tonight.  They were so good!  Plus you can't really beat meal that takes 20-25 minutes to make (including marinade time)

Grilled Mini Portabella Burgers (you can do this with the large caps also)

3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1 table spoon chili oil

3 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar

1/2 teaspoon of salt

1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper

1/2 teaspoon minced garlic

2 large portabella caps or four small caps - remove stems

In a shallow dish mix together the first six ingredients until well combined.  Add the mushroom caps and coat well.  Let them sit in the marinade for about 15-20 minutes, turning once or twice.  Heat grill or grill pan to medium, medium-high heat.  Oil the grates of the grill or grill pan to prevent sticking.  Place mushroom caps step side up for 4 minutes (for large caps, and 2 minutes for the smaller caps), turn and repeat on the other side.  Once cooked, top with mozzarella cheese and slices of tomatoes.  Instead of a bun I use romaine lettuce leaves.  Served with a yummy salad instead of fries! Enjoy

Leigha .... this recipe is for you!

No comments: